Wednesday 19 October 2011

Comic Brief: Symbol Development

I've been trying to come up with some kind of universal symbol to use with the comic brief that I might be able to put across a range of products and a lot of different applications.


I started by sketching out some ideas about what could be used for a symbol, thinking about things that relate to the characters or the overall narrative of the comics (e.g. hourglasses for sand, the infinity symbol,  septagons etc). I didn't really get much out of any of these designs so I started using Illustrator to try and come up with a variety of different symbols and see what variations I could make. 
I started using the septagon idea (1 side for each of the characters of the story) and the eye symbol and the infinity symbol all together, but it all looked a bit busy and boring. 


From this, I wanted to simplify the whole thing by working with just the infinity symbol and seeing what could be done with it. 



I looked at a couple of variations and then started looking at how the symbol changes between typefaces. 


Next I looked at how to use the simplest shapes possible to create the symbol, but they didn't really work that week. 


Then I started using colour and gradients and stuff to create the symbol but not any of them worked and I just ended up making the Mastercard logo and the Virgin Media logo separately. 


After this I just started looking at different decorative ways to make the shape. 



I really liked this example in the picture above but I'm not sure really how relevant it would be in the context of the brief. 

1 comment:

  1. How about an infinity symbol which is also visibly a Mobius strip?

    ReplyDelete