Tuesday 22 November 2011

Packaging - Final Designs

Next I just had to use my existing elements to design the final packaging and get the brief done.
I came up with a few variations on how the packaging could look. I have been limited by the shape of the comics to a degree, and now that I have settled on the net then I have to conform to its own limitations.


I decided that the simplest idea here was probably the most effective, and decided on the idea to cut the 7 point star out of the top layer of the packaging so that the next layer down shows through and makes the 7 pont star visible. I think it will be black on the outside and white on the next layer down. 



I had to next decide on the type to use on the front. To start with I tried using the Sandman logo type that I developed way back in the brief, but decided that it wasn't really that appropriate to this 7 point star idea that has developed and might be completely redundant now. 


Instead of this I looked at the type used in the minimal style poster designs, but this was also kind of inappropriate because of the obvious texture. To counter this, I modified the typeface a bit to make it fit, filling in most of the texture/ vectoring the type and then arranging it to make it less skewed. 



After deciding this, I put on the barcode for the product so that it could be stocked and purchased in stores, along with the Vertigo logo (as they own all the rights to this DC franchise). I then added a brief blurb of the story synopsis and then a small bit about this particular release and some short copyright information and publishing dates to complete the packaging. 

These are some quick test prints to see how the design works in 3 dimensions. Obviously its low quality, and because of the size and stock, the cut-out bits of the design don;t really work. 

In total I think the design could be a lot more interesting, so I might try and add some colour to the inside sleeve around the existing cutout star design to contrast the black and white but match the colourful interior of each comic. 


ADD COMPLETED DESIGNS


No comments:

Post a Comment