Wednesday 16 November 2011

Packaging/ Inside Cover?

For the overall packaging I wanted to have a much more illustrative design than the minimal design for each cover as a contrast. Originally i was going to use the Sandman illustration that I created right at the start of this project.


I quickly decided that I didn't really like this idea so started thinking of a new one. I also pretty quickly thought of the pages on the inside of really old books which are quite illustrative and show a bunch of fictional characters and creatures in a kind of splash design like these:




So I started to make my own kind of illustration using characters and creatures from the Sandman series. I started by drawing out the rough layout and then went into pencilling it all in and finally using pen. 








After this I scanned the image and messed about with it in photoshop for a while, changing the proportions of some of the bits that I didn't really like before printing out and then re-penning over again for a final copy.










For the full final illustration I wanted to create the same effect as is used in the old style illustartions, using really simple single hatched shading across the image. 




Finally I just vectored the drawing in illustrator and replaced the type with the stuff I'd already done to see if it worked any better. 





No comments:

Post a Comment